Friday, February 27, 2009

New Years Resolution once again

January 1st I decided that 2009 was going to be the year I make it to my goal weight range of 148-155 pounds. I was starting off at 181. I have made this resolution for many years and not followed through. I started off my resolution with the typical diet plan I have followed many times before. Always a little compulsive in my approach, I start off with a plan that is eerily similar to what I have done in the past. I planned to restrict sugar, processed carbs, cheese, higher fat foods, etc., up my veggie consumption, follow through on intense workouts 6 out of 7 days and weigh in daily to track my progress.

Now I made this resolution for 2009 but really wanted to lose the 25 – 30 pounds in 12 weeks before my Spring Break to Florida. No small feat and it would require my due diligence to get there. I was going to be perfect and eat everything I “should” and nothing I “shouldn’t”. I had a poster board with a calendar to track my workouts, a chart to track my weight and motivational pictures of myself in a bathing suit to keep my motivation up.

You would think after years of trying to micromanage and control every aspect of my eating, I would have figured out this approach just does not work. The saying of, “If you always do what you’ve always done, you will get what you have always gotten” or something like that describes what I should have been thinking. As my pattern of past behavior has shown, I was able to apply my strict approach on some days and then not on others, I would take one bite or one taste of anything that was not on my approved list and it would send me spiraling into a junk food binge.

After 6 weeks on my plan, I had managed to lose 7 pounds. A good slow rate of weight loss but not what I was expecting to be bathing suit worthy for Florida. At this moment I took some time and examined my intentions. To start, I am a big fan of the Biggest Loser and love Jillian as a trainer. She is tough and tells people like it is which I really would need in my trainer. Nothing bad about Bob but his approach is not for me. I checked out Jillian’s site and signed up. I was able to get her no nonsense approach, workouts, recipies and meal planning and a much needed reminder that I am making a permanent lifestyle change and not dieting this time. I am not planning to stop this new behavior so I better make it something I can live with.

To that end, her meal plans gave me an idea on how to approach my new nutritional goals. Moderation was key. Adding in foods I enjoyed but were healthier alternatives was an option. WHO KNEW! I decided that the pressure I was feeling to lose so much weight so quickly was affecting my stress level leading me to binge. I decided to take the pressure off, but to remain committed to my purpose and see this thing through. Besides, this process is so much more about the trip not just the destination.

Now 2 weeks later, I found myself down another 3 pounds and am 1/3 the way towards my goal. Through blogging, I hope to make it the rest of the way and find a way to stay there. I want to be one of the minority who successfully solved their weight problem.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are doing great! I haven't been using the website meal plans lately but I did try a few of the recipes and really liked them.

    I love Jillian's podcast and listen to it every week. It is very motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have an IPOD but do have an MP3. I imagine they work regardless - is that correct? Where would I find these?

    ReplyDelete