Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Am I more important?

I sometimes wonder if I am more important than the temptations that overcome me. Am I worth it and is reaching my goals worth more than the Easter candy sitting on my refrigerator? So far today, I have not given into my kids Easter stash. But... yet... I am thinking about it.

As a person who has been overweight since the age of 14, I have gotten pretty good about not seeing things through. I have wanted to get to a lower weight for years. First, I thought I should be 140. As a 5'9" person, this is really too thin for me to maintain. Then I moved it to 145, then 150 and now 155. Really... I think 150 - 155 is the right range.

So as my weigh in yesterday was 171.8 - up from my pre-vacation weight of 169, I still am 17 pounds over my goal. Still overweight, still wanting to succeed, still standing in my own way.

I know this post sounds like a downer. It really isn't meant to be. I just continue to do things to defeat myself and that part is frustrating. I have set a few goals for myself that I know if I can meet them 80%, I can lose the 1 lb a week I want to lose. I just need to up my effort. My plan is to post my weight each Monday with how I fared with my daily goals. Just to try to keep myself accountable each day.

I know I only have 2 people who probably even read my blog but would really like to know since both of you (Jen and Carol) have successfully lost weight. What do you think was the right mental conversation to have with yourself when the moment strikes and you want to deny yourself that food. What did you say to yourself to walk away. I am still searching for those words. Today it has been, "you are worth not eating that" and it has worked.

I know I am more important. My goals are very important. My health is very important. And I need to stand up for myself. Just need to keep plugging away.

3 comments:

  1. I read your blog regularly. I have not lost the weight I need to lose, I struggle daily with the "I deserve to eat this because it's how I comfort myself" myth.

    I like the idea that "I am worthy of NOT eating unneeded foods". Thank you for putting that into words.

    Keep sailing the sometime stormy waters toward good health. I am watching (and rooting for you) from the shore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. Good to know I have support out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - we are the same height! OK, the one thing that has been successful for me is to just decide that there is no other option but to eat what is on my plan. No excuses, no tomorrows, no little tastes. NO OPTION! I have to decide this before I have the temptation. As long as it is FIRMLY planted into my mind, I'm not torn by temptations. It's when it is not in my mind (like concrete) and I am open to the option of eating things I shouldn't have that I am pulled into that anxiety of should I/shouldn't I, but I really want it . . . etc. Yep, it's NO OPTION. When I decide it, it works. But the first thing is you have to decide it and really mean it. Then you are no longer pulled apart by temptations.

    ReplyDelete