Friday, April 17, 2009

If not now, when?

I posted a few days ago about needing inspirational words to help me turn down tempting comfort foods when the need to eat them and break my healthy eating plan hits me.

Well today I found those words in an article I was reading in Women's Day Magazine. This is really not an exciting magazine that I usually flip through and then pass on to someone else but as I was flipping through today, there was an article titled "Love, again. After a heartbreaking loss, I moved across the country to make a fresh start. What I found there turned my life around". I would not normally read this article but something told me to do it so I started reading about how this lady found love again. Basically both her and her new husband each lost a spouse to cancer. Really a sad story but a few years ago she was faced with leaving NYC and her "old" life - apartment, job, scenery - that she had shared with her first husband who passed away. She knew she needed to leave but was afraid to. So she asked herself "If not now, when"

I did not finish reading the article. I got to that point and I said to myself. "IF NOT NOW, WHEN" The words I have been searching for. Every evening when snack monster reigns on me and I want to overeat, I tell myself "you can start again tomorrow" Those words are replaced with "If not now, when"

I will not get another chance at yesterday or today. This is my only chance. So if I cannot do it today, when will I do it. Tomorrow is today for me going forward and I will do it today.

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about this all day. I love it. If not now, when? This is more glaring when you reach my age because the reality of it is that I have more years behind me than ahead of me. So those things I always "wished" for, need to either start happening or I need to let them go. (That's why I take piano lessons at my age.) Because, If not now, when? I think I will ask myself this a lot. Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete