Monday, March 30, 2009

The Little Lies we tell ourselves

Thanks for the comments on my post from this morning. I never thought that the comment could have meant not my style. I am still not sure exactly what was meant by the comment. I do know this friend knows my struggles with body image and weight and she is very sweet so probably did not mean it the way I took it as she would know it would hurt me. I also realize that it really should just not matter. The fact that it did speaks volumes on how I think of myself.

Today I bought snacks at Walmart for our trip to Florida. We are flying but as they do not feed you, I thought have a few snacks for the kids instead of buying airport food. I bought a box of Teddy Grahams (little graham crackers). Anyway, on my way home from work. I felt myself migrating towards the bag to open the box. Now I felt this in my head - I was not physically doing it but could feel myself thinking about doing it. As I have been trying to keep in touch with my thoughts. I realized it. I was quite surprised to realize I think about these things before doing them. (That whole gap concept in my book where between thinking it and doing it is the gap where you can make a decision) Anyway, so I listened to myself and here is what I heard:

Snack eater voice: It has been 4 hours since lunch and you are hungry. You can open the box and just have a few. You won't eat them all.

I really kind of chuckled here as I thought. Yea right! I will eat 1/2 that box before getting home if I open it. I realized, I probably mentally tell myself this lie all the time. If I catch it and correct it, maybe I will start to realize that it is better to just not even start.

A bit of a break through.

1 comment:

  1. Something I learned (from the Beck book) that was quite shocking to me was this: Hunger is NOT an emergency. Gee - I always thought it was! So now when I get like that, I always remind myself it isn't an emergency and the next meal REALLY isn't that far away. Besides, if I just think about something else I forget all about being hungry.

    ReplyDelete