Monday, March 23, 2009

Trouble Sleeping

For the past month or so, I have intermittently had trouble sleeping. Usually I wake up around 2 am and then cannot fall back asleep. Saturday night this happened to me and I just lay there trying to go to sleep and cannot and it is incredibly frustrating. I have tried multiple techniques to clear my mind. I feel like I have so many thoughts racing through my mind as I lay there - songs I can't get out of my head, thoughts about things I need to get done, worries about my kids, etc... I try to clear them out and replace them with something more relaxing and as I lay there, I hear them coming back in.

Last night, I could not fall asleep. Yesterday here it was mid 60's and I exercised outside and then did outdoor chores for about 4 hours. I was sore and tired but when I got into bed, here came the tape player of mutiple messages, worries, songs on the radio - and I laid in bed for 2 hours unable to fall asleep. I ended up turning on the light besides my bed and reading for an hour which did help some. I managed to sleep for the most part from midnight until 6:45 so I feel mostly rested this AM.

I am usually the person who is asleep before their head hits the pillow and never will wake up at night - even sleeping through horrible thunderstorms. I do not feel like I am horribly stressed about anything right now and am afraid this is becoming a habit I will not be able to shake. I am trying not to worry about falling asleep before I go to bed but it is in the back of my mind.

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. At 38 years old you are too young to have any symptoms of menopause but that is exactly what happens to me if I don't take estrogen. At one time I totally stopped taking estrogen and I had to finally begin taking it again because I couldn't deal with not being able to sleep. So if it continues, you might explore the possibility of declining estrogen levels with your doctor.

    ReplyDelete