Monday, March 2, 2009

Understanding

I am trying to understand how my mind/mouth work sometimes. I have struggled with consistency in my eating, which explains why my oldest son is 10 and I still weigh 8 pounds more than my pre-pregnancy weight which was 13 pounds more than my goal weight.

I do not want to throw a bunch of excuses for my failure based on childhood habits learned. I can only say that I have been breaking my diet with uncontrollable binges for as long as I can remember. What I have continued to do is to forgive myself and keep moving forward.

What I would like to consider and would appreciate any advise on is how do I reduce these episodes. I am beyond thinking that I will ever completely stop. But how do I move past this pattern on behavior. I recognize it is completely destructive and manages to "undo" the good I have done. I realize it prohibits me from achieving my goals. I also acknowledge that I really do not like myself when I do this.

I am proud of the fact that I always regroup and start again but I need to grow and get out of this place I keep ending up - bloated and disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, thanks for your comment on my blog. I know that bloated disappointed feeling well. But keep on forgiving yourself and moving on. I need to get back on track myself. I have not been consistent for a few months. Maybe we can do it together. I want to get back down ten pounds and then just stay in a five pound range. I don't like my pattern of fluctuation. Even though this fluctuation was relatively small, it is the same pattern repeating itself and will eventually get me back where I started from. I think the main thing is to catch yourself and get back on track as sson as possible..So I need to get back to better habits right now. Thanks!! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    I finally kept my promise and posted a link to your blog: http://yawwblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-committment-to-me.html

    I think you need to give yourself some credit: You're only 13 pounds away from your goal weight. Obviously, you're getting things right most of the time.

    Hopefully you can find the pattern that is behind your binges and start addressing those issues. I've had to just outlaw certain foods in my house, because if they're around, I'll eat them, even without any kind of other trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think that when we're fairly close to our goal weight, it's harder to get going than if we were way off. I mean, it's so doable that it's easy to put it off for one more day. Pretty soon that day is about 5 years, and well, you know how that goes. Anyway, for me, I had to change the way I was thinking about food and eating. That was my turning point. I had to learn that I really did have the choice to make. One of the tools that was helpful to me was making a list of the reasons I wanted to lose weight. Another was a weight loss graph. It was amazing how helpful those 2 things were for me. When I wanted to fall back into old habits I would review my list. When I thought I was not making any progress, one look at my weight loss graph told me otherwise. It is doable so don't give up!!

    ReplyDelete