Saturday, March 21, 2009

More Magazine April 2009


I received my favorite magazine, More, in the mail Thursday. I sat down this morning and read it while drinking my coffee. This month they had several articles that truly motivated me.

The first was on cover model Dara Torres. What an amazing woman. She is 41 and has an incredibly fit body. She is a world class athlete competing against women 20 to 25 years younger than her and winning! Very inspiring. The article is an excerpt from her new book publishing soon. When answering questions from the journalist she said, "I'm still testing the waters to see where my limits are" Reading this article made me realize that I have set limits on myself that I really need to shake off. Dara Torres who competed as an Olympian at 41 is still testing her limits! I really need to search my heart to see where I am limiting myself. My potential is only limited by my self-imposed limits. I am certainly no Olympic class athlete but during my morning circuit training routine I pushed myself farther and harder than prior workouts. My arms felt like noodles when done.

There was also an article on a new food labeling system called Nuval. Now maybe I am the only one who had not heard about this but the most exciting part was Meier, one of my local grocery chains, is going to start labeling their food this fall. The system basically assigns a score to a food with 100 being perfect and 1 not so great. The numbers are based on a mathematical formula dividing the good stuff (fiber, protein, omega 3's, vitamins) by the bad stuff (trans fats, sodium, etc) You can go to www.nuval.com to see the foods they have converted so far. How exciting that they are making food choice selection so much easier. Sometimes reading labels can be a chore and a number on the front of packaging - how much easier can it get!


Lastly there was an article called, "Are you Fit Enough for your Future". This article gave 5 tests you should take to assess your "body age". The tests were in Strength, Core, Flexibility, Balance and Cardio. Based on how you perform, you figure out if your body is in its 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's+. My body age was lower or same as my biological age on all tests except flexibility. I have really got to work on this. I always have a hard time fitting Yoga in with the strength and cardio I do - it is important though. Core I was weaker on so need to train my abs more often.

I really enjoy this magazine and recommend it as worthy of a subscription. There is substantial content here. The women are real women not celebrities - they are successful women and there is always a story at the end about a woman who reached a goal or dream or re-created herself after 40. The clothes are beautiful - and way out of my price range - but nice to look at. And there are always health related articles to help me reach for my fitness goals.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments on my blog! I get the feeling you are discovering some new things about yourself - how exciting! The sky is the limit - race against your potential! In answer to your question, I was thinking that I told you I am originally from Indiana (born in Hammond, grew up mostly in Lowell). Yep, a Hoosier. I've been in Utah a long time, since 1974. I look forward to hearing what you are going to be discovering about yourself!

    ReplyDelete