Thursday, March 5, 2009

Prevention Magazine

I really enjoy this magazine. I just started subscribing and received my 3rd issue last night and it has so much useful information. They also have a great website I was checking out this AM

This month's issue had an article on walking marathons. I am a former runner and ran 3 1/2 marathons in the past. I hurt my knee when training for the Chicago Marathon 3 years ago. It was a meniscus injury. The MRI showed it like a stress fracture inside my meniscus but not a complete tear. The Doctor gave me a cortisone shot told me to wait 6 months and then if that didn't work, they could do exploratory surgery. I injured myself in July and waited until the following Spring to really try to run outside again and the pain returned.

So - I decided to try to find fitness without running. Other forms of exercise existed and surgery frightened me so I moved on. I haven't tried a full fledged running program in a long time and even if I did try to add running to my fitness schedule, I would never try to train for a marathon or 1/2 again as that would definately mess with my knee.

I never considered walking a marathon but this Prevention episdode got me a little pumped about that. They have Team Prevention that walks together at several races in the Fall (none of which are really close to my house though). Alli who won TBL 2 seasons ago is walking in one this Spring. It has always been my goal to complete a marathon. When I hurt my knee I figured that goal had to be off my list of things to do with my life. But, possibly I could pencil that one back in but with walking.

I feel it is important to have something you are shooting for. Training for the halfs gave me much discipline and were so rewarding to finish. I like to have a goal and achieve it. I haven't had anything to train for in awhile so I am going to reflect on this and see if I really want to do this and take the time to train and complete this long of a walk. Not commiting yet but considering it! I would love to walk with Ali's team but that is 8 weeks away - not sure I am in that kind of shape yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment