Sunday, March 1, 2009

Patience

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer

This bible verse today really says what my heart is feeling. I am all of these things, joyful in hope for a bright future. Patient in my affliction of overeating and excess weight. And faithful in prayer that God hears me when I ask for help... and for patience... and for hope!

Patience is where I sometimes get stuck. In our need it now society, sometimes I want the results now - not 3 months from now. I receive a daily email from the Jillian Michaels' website and today's reader questions was. "I know your website gives me the plan to lose 2 pounds per week but how do I lose 4 or 5 pounds per week" Great question I thought, cannot wait to see what Jillian says as I would love this plan! Jillian's answer, do 2 extra hours of cardio a day to burn an additional 1000 calories. Hmmm maybe I really do not want that plan.

Maybe patience is exactly what I need. My body loses weight pretty slowly -- A LOT slower than I would like it to be. But maybe that is exactly what I need. This gives me time to reflect on why I want to lose weight. It gives me the opportunity to be happy while my weight loss sort of creeps along. I have to learn to love myself as I am. And this is key. When I reach 155 on the scale, my life will be the same - sure I will wear a smaller pant size but other than that - I will have what I have right now at 171. And honestly, I have a pretty good life.

If I didn't need the patience I pray for, if my weight just flew off, maybe I would not be learning all I am about myself. If I really mean what I mean when I say this process for me is about the jouney and not just the destination, then I need to patiently enjoy this journey.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sharon! I like that you are not dieting. ( thats a bad word! lol) I follow weight watchers and I too am not on a diet. I Know that there are faster ways to lose weight but your right about when it is slow you have time to realize why you are on this journey, learn to love yourself. Be patient and stay strong.

    :)tj

    tjstestkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree...if my weight was just falling off, I wouldn't be learning all the things about myself that I've been learning the past few months. Your writing style is fantastic. I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete